Friday 20 March 2009

AUTUMN 2008


I decided to start doing a little planning for the next bit of gardening - looking forward to 2009 and all its glory. So, like all best laid and all that....
The bog garden section with the hostas needs the larger parts dividing. I would love to put more going up the slope behind the leycestria but it gets quite dark up there as there are tall trees all around so in the past that has not worked. I tried a few things last year which didn't work so have chucked some more in this year of the more traditional waterside plants and see what 2009 brings. I also wondered if the fact that the water from the road above probably drains into this section and in the winter that is loaded with the gritting stuff and might be a bit of a killer. One fatsia pegged it, but the other was okay. Not sure why! Rodgersia at the front needs moving back as it is far too dominant.

The bank on the far side of the bridge also needs something doing with it. It is quite dark there too as the sun only gets there on summer mornings. I popped a few foxgloves in there going up last year and they have flowered well, hopefully seeding too for years to come. That gave me the idea of a few more wild flowers. I put some campion and ragged robin to the right of the swing tree and we'll see what they do. They also flowered this year. Again, mild amounts of wincing when children swing, but I suppose it is their garden too!

I have been extending the beds towards this end of the bridge and getting odd plants in there as I rescue them. A garden centre about 10 minutes from here does a good line in half price plants when they are "finished" so a treasure trove for me! I found a "deep secret" red rose there which Husband gave me in the last house and I didn't have the heart to dig it up. The leaves have all fallen off, but there is still a little sign of life. Fingers crossed. Maybe that's a better name for my garden in retrospect! I did my usual trick of finding larger plants that are pot bound and then digging a hole for them in the middle of the lawn to give them space, knowing I will "catch up with them" when digging out the bed later. Drives the lawn mowing person mad. Not the intention, honestly. I found a cheap rose arch in argos and put a bedraggled "china" yellow rose to grow up it, with a small other climber I can't remember the name of. I will regret the cheap arch later. I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment